Silvie's bookshelf

Words and something more

The Story of the Lost Child: The fourth and final Neapolitan novel.

The Story of the Lost Child: The fourth and final Neapolitan novel. - Elena Ferrante, Ann Goldstein I just finished the Neapolitan series. Such powerful books about daily life, friendship, family, passion and love. With love stories that get you involved and deaths that shock you, the series is more than the story of a friendship between two women. It's the story of Lila/Lina/Rafaella, of the things she endured, of her enthusiasm, her intense curiosity and ability to learn almost anything; it's a story of Elena's jealousy of a friend that even though didn't study as much as she did and didn't travel could feel and express her thoughts in a much more perceptive way. The books are also an homage to the girl that inspired Elena for her whole life. The story seduces you at the same time makes you understand that curiosity is essential in everything you do (a thing that I learned a while back myself). The books also offer insight into grief and how easily people disappear from your life.

One of my favorite quotes from the books:

"He didn't want her the way he generally wanted women, to feel them under him, to turn them over, turn them again, open them up, break them, step on them, and crush them. He didn't want her in order to have sex and then forget her. He wanted the subtlety of her mind with all its ideas. He wanted her imagination. And he wanted her without ruining her, to make her last."

Mrs. Dalloway
Virginia Woolf
You Can't Make This Stuff Up: The Complete Guide to Writing Creative Nonfiction--from Memoir to Literary Journalism and Everything in Between
Lee Gutkind