Silvie's bookshelf

Words and something more

The Cozy Life: Rediscover the Joy of the Simple Things Through the Danish Concept of Hygge - Pia Edberg The book showed in a manner of speaking the rediscovery of hygge by a Denmark-born Canadian. This lasted for some 20 pages - the interview with her father is particularly interesting to see how people enjoyed hygge "once upon a time." It is more self-help oriented than I would have liked; the author works as a HR specialist and speaker and the writing makes me think that there is not very much hygge in her own life. She offers advice "you should do/could do that" but she's not saying what I hoped once I started this book...."This is what works for me....how I welcomed hygge into my life" etc. If you already incorporated in your life those ideas/principles (a good book, a nice bath, a walk with friends, dinner with family, dancing in the rain etc) the books brings nothing spectacular to the table. All in all, it was easy to read and entertaining.

Mrs. Dalloway
Virginia Woolf
You Can't Make This Stuff Up: The Complete Guide to Writing Creative Nonfiction--from Memoir to Literary Journalism and Everything in Between
Lee Gutkind